Wednesday 14 April 2010

Scratch animation test

So I'm still kinda unsure about my animation methods which is quite frustrating...I have in my head the idea that I will work efficiently by first animating roughly in Toon Boom, exporting all the images, tracing over the images with the custom sumi-e brush in Corel Painter, then compositing all the finished elements into Toon Boom Studio or After Effects...

That sounds like a lot more work than it seemed in my head ;_; I think I'll run out of time but if worse comes to worse I'll just polish up the animation drawings directly in Toon Boom Studio. The line work in the film "Le Papillon" looks like brush lines but at the same time it looks so clean and crisp rather like vector animation. I should able to experiment with the pressure sensitivity of my tablet and the vector brushes to create a similar brush line to "Le papillon" but it will not look as organic as the Painter brush.

For now, here's the first scene of the film animated in rough - there's slow panning clouds, wind-swept leaves in the foreground and a walk cycle. It looks a bit sparse at the moment (since it's so incomplete) but hopefully after a bit of work here and there it'll begin to take shape properly :)



I may or may not stretch out this scene so that the title appears at the beginning in the clouds...