Thursday 29 October 2009

The Initial Idea...

For the pitch I didn't have much work prepared so I just outlined the general idea I had, the message behind the film and showed some work from the Illustrator Mirko Hanák. 





Hanák's work is GORGEOUS, I love how free the brush strokes are and how the lines are carefully chosen to create a sense of movement and form without looking overworked. It reminded me very much of some Chinese brush painting styles and sumi-e but with a distinct European flavour. It's tough being Asian...with all my Asian influences I sometimes feel like I'm becoming a cliché and IDEALLY I'd love to be able to represent the British animation industry...but I'll work on that in time :)


In short, the film will be about a man who dies right at the beginning of the film and throughout the film we see him fade as people start forgetting about him until finally, he is completely forgotten and he disappears. Sounds simple...and the message I wanted to convey is there...but that's where the simplicity seems to end for me! I've had the most troubling time trying to develop a story for this...even now at the current stage of my storyboard I feel like it's lacking excitement...hopefully I'll get some feedback to help me on the day of the animatic presentation.


Fingers crossed I'll get it done on time. luckily, it's like a draft animatic so I have time to fix it and make it look prettier :D As for the visuals, I'm stumped...I want to animate in a similar style to Hanák but with a slightly more refined edge...I'll post what I come up with eventually...