Friday 14 September 2012

Control Rig

With the Caruso mesh given a skeleton, skinned and weighted I imported him into Motionbuilder to characterise his skeleton. Luckily, this time I didn't need to manually search through the skeleton's hierarchy to drag and drop the bone names into the characterisation box. Due to the same naming system, all I had to do was drag the character directly onto the "Caruso reference" item in the navigator and it automatically characterises - imagine the tedious task of assigning each individual finger bone?


By characterising the skeleton, I could attach a control rig to the mesh with powerful IK and FK controls and the rig can also be made to target mo-cap data onto - which is what I intended of course!


I played around with the rig a little to check the deformations to Caruso's mesh - looking satisfactory...for now.


However I spotted some verts that I missed at the weight painting stage. This is my own fault for skipping the stage where one can use Maya's component editor to manually assign cleaner influences to certain groups of verts. This happened in a few other places such as the bottom of the coat and around the shoes. Just need to go back into Maya for a few touch-ups to the weight painting.