Saturday 27 February 2010

Character designs Part 2

Here's some more progressed character designs - I wasn't too satisfied with the designs I did for the hand-in and I have reservations with regards to the visual style. Here, I've experimented a little bit with visual styles but essentially I've gone for some quite detailed designs. They didn't take very long and are very easy to replicate but look more complete than the other designs.


I rather like the drawing on the bottom middle so I developed that design a little further. I also really like the simple drawing above it because the design is so clean but the variation of the brush lines' thickness gives it more substance.
The character is getting there I think - I like the ease of drawing a simple bob haircut. It's a simple enough shape that I can draw it quickly but the loose hair also means I can be more interesting with the animation by making it move with actions or in the wind.

Here, I'm trying out the use of more thick brush strokes and forgoing the use of a thin line pen. I think the style is also looking much more refined and I think it'll look very good animated :). The more expressive brush strokes add a lot of movement to the images even though they are static right now - it should help the animation along I hope!

And here, I wondered about going a different direction with the character's design but pretty much completely altering her appearance. I really really like the design but I had such a hard time drawing all those curls in her hair I think it's best to stick to the previous design!