Tuesday 24 July 2012

Model Progress Update

Unfortunately I wasn't very happy with the first version of Caruso's head so have decided to re-make the head mesh from the very beginning. This time, I started with the "Create Polygon" Tool to create smaller planes and extrude the edges to form the face. I felt it was much easier to  control the edgeflow using this technique and it matches the reference images far better. Though it was slightly more time-consuming, I am much happier with the end result:


After a little more refining:



I encountered a few problems when modelling the ear - what I did was model it as a separate mesh then combined and merged it with the head but due to the restrictions placed by how many edges were left for the ear to attach to I was unable to create an ear I was completely satisfied with. The final ear was adequate for the job but I couldn't work out a way to incorporate more detail -luckily I have Mudbox to sort that out (hopefully!) and at least for the most part of the game, Caruso will be masked and his ears hidden.