Tuesday 1 December 2009

A VERY quick animation test

During my tutorial yesterday I was set the task of making an animation test of the tender touch of a loved one (something along those lines). In my film I want to include bits where the ghost tries to touch his fiancée but instead creates a gentle gust of wind. For the animation test I chose to animate one such situation where the ghost goes to touch the woman's hair (maybe flashback to show it's a habit that he had when he was alive) but a breeze comes and blows the hair back.


As you can see, my skills are barely coming out of hibernation - it's meant to be very rough so the movements aren't quite there yet but I tried to show how the ghost's hand slows down upon "touching" the woman's face and I made the movements of the fingers very subtle. It's not too successful but I don't think I made a good choice of action to animate for this task.

The purpose of this test to get myself in the right frame of mind to explore the emotions and sensitivity between two people who have loved and lost. It was supposed to help inspire my film but I don't really feel any different. I'll continue making such tests in the meantime to get back into the flow of animation. I am rather rusty but it's fun to pick it up again and realise how much I still enjoy it :)

At the moment I'm most happy with my most recent storyboard - if I just storyboard the last section then time the images out in an animatic then maybe I'll be able to find a way of communicating what I want more clearly.