Thursday 4 March 2010

Some new ideas

I didn't really have a chance to finalise a visual style for the film which is rather shameful especially so late in the project! Now, I am pleased to say I've almost got everything sorted and there will be more polished looking mock stills to come.

The aesthetics; I am aiming to have a very hand-made organic feel to them. In my opinion a lot of animated films these days lack a little magic because they are over-rendered or too clean and smooth and lifeless due to the availability of computer programs. There's something about a lot of new digitally made animations that appear cheap, rushed and mass-produced which is a shame because the digital tools were created to allow animators to work more efficiently and economically. This should have potentially led to even more amazing looking animations but made in less time and although some people succeed...it also means too many people cut corners to make bigger profits...

Anyway, I got a little sidetracked! The visuals will consist of very minimalistic backgrounds and I will aim to de-clutter each scene to depict only what is essential - this is the key rule for artists who practise Chinese brush painting and Sumi-e. The details will all be drawn in black [digital] ink on lightly textured backgrounds.

These backgrounds were made by first staining cartridge paper with dye. When dry I layered several colours of oil pastel over the dye and then, with a paper towel dipped in a solvent, I blended all the oil pastels to produce a richly coloured and textured surface. I feel that it adds a lot of character to the film's visuals and helps a long way in achieving the organic feel I want.



I plan to use only three colours in the entire film: blue (above) for the scenes that are set outside in the graveyard.


This pink-ish shade will be used for the flashback sequences since it is a somewhat sentimental colour which gives a warm but dream-like atmosphere.


This brown shade will be used for the scenes set inside the couple's house - it has that homely warmth yet slightly nostalgic tone which I find appropriate for what was once a loving home.



For fun I have thrown in this background colour - I played with the idea of using it in those really violent/angry scenes in the breaking photos sequence but it is a little too strong and fierce a colour. Whilst typing this I had a slight change of heart...maybe I'll end up using it?

Ehhh...maybe not...