Monday 2 November 2009

So Here's the ACTUAL Idea...

Essentially, my idea has remained the same throughout the time we've been given from conception to animatic - that the soul is a memory of a person's life/existence.


At first, I had an idea of a story where a man dies of a horrific violent attack/accident - this was an excuse to surprise the audience straight away with a strong visual impact that isn't censored. As the story progresses, the man sees the aftermath of his death: his funeral, widow and grief-stricken parents. I wanted to signify his memory being lost through the deaths of those who knew him when he was alive and at the time I felt really conscious when I discussed this idea because it felt like I was going overboard with deaths -it was like I had an obsession with killing people...(basically I was going to make the mother die of grief, the father takes his own life after being left alone and then the widow dies of old age.)


Here's a rough storyboard I did after I panicked from hearing the announcement that we had 3 weeks to make an animatic (from 3 weeks ago!). It was horribly rushed and I realise now that I only did it to satisfy a deadline, there wasn't much thought put into the events of the film...(and the drawings are very bad but that's how I draw when I'm rushed and uninspired!)





Obviously, this isn't very good at all! I went to see my tutors and the feedback was generally the same - telling me that there's no drama. My film was a "so what?" film...and even now I don't fully understand what they meant by that term and I think after presenting my animatic...the tutors still consider my film to be a "so what?" film! Also, it was VERY literall...not that I mind literal films but I wanted to be more suggestive for this film to show a more sophisticated style of narrative...


More later!


EDIT: Oh yes, forgot to mention the storyboard above isn't finished. I took so long to make such a poor storyboard and by the time my arranged tutorials came round I still hadn't completed it! Afterwards, I knew I had to scrap the storyboard completely and make a new one so there was no reason to complete it.